This week, we became aware of the tragic death of a student at Novato High School. Our hearts go out in sympathy to his family and friends, as well as the entire Novato High School community.
The Novato High School teachers, administrators and staff are all available to help students deal with and understand this tragic event. The counselors are available at the school to help any student who is having a hard time with this news. In addition, the school gave parents some excellent resources that we would like to share:
Youth and Family Counseling at the Novato Youth Center: (415) 892-1643, ext. 239. For more information: https://novatoyouthcenter.org/youth-and-family-counseling-2/
Marin County Mobile Crisis Response Team: 7 days a week, 1 pm - 9 pm, at (415) 473-6392. They also provide after-hours support through Psychiatric Emergency Services at (415) 473-6666.
- 24 hour Marin County Peer Support hotline providing emotional support 1 (855) 845-7415.
- After Hours support through Psychiatric Emergency Services (415) 473-6666
- Marin County Mental Health Access and Assessment Line: 1-888-818-1115
- Marin General Psychiatric Emergency Services: (415) 473-6666
- Kaiser San Rafael Psychiatry - 415-491-3000
- Huckleberry Youth Programs Counseling (sliding scale): (415) 621-2929
- Crisis Text Line: Text BAY to 741741
California Youth Crisis Line: 1-800-843-5200, 24 hour hotline for youth aged 12-24, or adults supporting youth.
Community Mental Health Crisis Line: 415-499-6666, 24 hours.
Marin Suicide Prevention and Community Counseling Services Grief Counseling Center: 415-499-1195
Suicide Prevention Hotline: 415-499-1100, 24 hours.
One more excellent resource for parents helping children deal with grief and bereavement is this booklet: After a Loved One Dies - How Children Grieve, and How parents and other adults can support them.
We also want you to remember that if your child is having a difficult time with grief or sadness around the loss of a friend, family member or loved one, please call and talk to us - we have more resources and we can help.